Nicholas Gifford-Mead A 17thc German Wrought Iron Screen
A rare 17th century German wrought iron screen from Nuremburg, circa 1690. Restored.
In the late 19th century the screen was brought back from Nuremberg having been purchased by the Reverend William Herbert Seddon from a local antique dealer J.Christian Wohlbold who also supplied a number of pieces to the Germanisches National Museum. In 1890 he donated it to St Mary’s Church, Painswick, Gloucester* and it remained in use as the chancel screen until repairs to the church necessitated its removal in the 1940s.